Satellite communication made updates during outdoor adventure events possible
Following successful sponsorship of mobile satellite communication for the CARE for Wildlife project and New frontiers, Station Africa telecoms were approached by a major events company to sponsor South African teams with the same satellite telecoms and airtime packages.
This lead to a satellite phone being used during South African team selections in Sweden and the final Tierra del Fuego event in Argentina where the South African team won the overall event. These events took place in rugged terrain which tested the capability of the handsets to the ultimate as it had to be used from freezing to tropical jungle conditions. The satellite phones enabled media communication and photos to be sent to a base station where it was uploaded to a web site.
Satellite communication sponsorship objectives:
To demonstrate the use of satellite communications through enabling communication with either a base camp or the media by sending up to date press releases, photos and reports.
Satellite communication skills used in the outdoor adventure projects:
- Sponsor’s representative – had to ensure that branding was done on all print, web and other media.
- Media liaison satellite telecoms company – this included writing and distribution of press releases.
- Overseeing publishing of technical articles demonstrating the technical capabilities of the handsets.
- In 2000 we set up a wireless LAN at a base camp which supplied the camp with satellite telecoms and manned the media room during team selections – updating the web site from location was one of our responsibilities.
- In 2000 we received an “out-of-the-box” web template to use and hosted the event’s web site.
- In 1998 a sub-domain for the event was created and our team designed and managed the web site during the team selections and finals.
- Competitions where satellite phones and airtime could be won were run in print media and exhibitions.
- Simultaneous organization of stands at shows and exhibitions to demonstrate the events and how it worked using V-sat for video conferencing.
List of outdoor events where satellite communication were sponsored:
- New Frontiers expedition through Africa for the 50th Anniversary of Land Rover in Birgmingham, UK.
- CARE for Wildlife satellite airtime package.
- Sweden International selections and finals Tierra del Fuego.
- Duzi Canoe marathon which included web site hosting, design and exposure / marketing.
- Ocean sailing Academy Da Gama Ocean race tracking of yachts, radio interviews, press releases, media conference and updates via V-SAT video conferencing to a Telecoms exhibition from Durban to Johannesburg.
- Cathy O’Dowd Southern ascent of Mount Everest.
- Tribe Safari Adventure company won a satellite phone with airtime at one of the shows and used it taking a group of 36 adventurers up Mount Kilimanjaro.
- Sodwana bay South African team selections – wireless LAN and media room with sponsorship of International and final event.